I LOVE quinoa, and I find it so versatile, that you really can combine it with almost everything. When I have some quinoa leftovers, I love to turn into a delicious cozy breakfast quinoa porridge. Have you tried it before? It is similar to the oat porridge but with even greater consistency (in my opinion). In case you haven’t tried it before, here I am going to show you how to make it with a little twist! And that is the raw yolk.
Raw yolk? ok before you tell me that it will taste funny, Im’m here to assure you that it will not. Trust me. All the contrary, it will taste creamy and really good.
Raw egg yolk has been a trend all over the internet for some time now. You can see people adding it into coffees and fruit smoothies. So I thought I could give it a try to add it this quinoa porridge recipe and what a success it was!
One of the many advantages of eating egg yolk is the source of choline, cholesterol and saturated fats you are getting. As women we need all of these three compounds to thrive and egg yolk will provide them to you 🙂
This recipe is great for winter season, and for vata and pitta (ayurvedic doshas).
Breakfast Quinoa Porridge
Yield: 1 serving
- 1 cup cooked sprouted quinoa.
- 3/4 cup of raw milk preferably (or whole milk)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 1 pinch of sea salt
Toppings (anything you want!):
- Fruit: fresh or dry, like banana, apple, any berry (strawberry, blackberry, blueberry), apricot, raisins, goji berries.
- Healthy Fats (optional): cacao nibs, pieces of dark chocolate, or dry coconut.
- In a bowl, whisk for some minutes the egg yolk with the honey or sugar, cinnamon and vanilla extract, until it turns creamy. You can use your hand or a hand-mixer.
- Heat the milk, and add the vanilla, cinnamon and sea salt.
- Pour milk on top of the quinoa.
- Add the egg yolk on top and combine.
- Add the fruits on top.
As easy as that!!
Good Topping Combinations:
- Strawberry or blueberry homemade jam
- Banana + hemp seeds + shredded coconut
- Cooked apples in butter + raisins
- Banana + shredded coconut + pieces of dark chocolate
** If you want to make this cereal after a workout session, you can add one scoop of protein or collagen powder to your wet mixture.
** For a faster breakfast prep the next day, prepare all the toppings and cook the quinoa the night before.
I hope you love it!!
With Love, Pia