One of my favorite activities is creating beauty products from scratch. And the main reason I like it so much is knowing the exact ingredients I’m putting into my body, face, and hair. Because we need to consider that everything you put into your skin will go directly inside your body to some degree. So, being mindful of the products we add to hair and skin is the same as being aware of the food we eat daily.
If you are like me or new at creating your beauty products but want to start somewhere, I will show you one of my favorite DIY moisturizing hair and skin masks that will make them glow! For real.
The magic ingredient
It’s the Fenugreek! Yeap, as simple as that!
Fenugreek (Trigonella foenum-graecum) is a plant with green leaves, small white flowers, and pods containing tiny, golden-brown seeds, which we will use for the mask.
For thousands of years, fenugreek has been used in alternative medicine (primarily Chinese and Ayurveda) to treat skin conditions and many other diseases (1). When I was studying Ayurvedic Pharmacy in India, fenugreek seeds were standard while making shampoo and treatments for the scalp. So today we are going to use it too!
DIY moisturizing hair and skin mask
- 1 cup fenugreek
- 2 cups water
- One tablespoon of organic coconut or castor oil
- One tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
1. Soak the fenugreek seeds in the water the night before.
2. You will see the fluffy and hydrated fenugreek seeds the next day. That’s what we want!
3. Add the fenugreek seeds and the water soaked into a blender until well combined. You will notice a smooth and creamy paste. Set apart a little of this paste for your face, and continue adding the rest of the ingredients into the blender to make the hair mask until they are all well combined.
4. Apply the mask to your hair. For that, I like to divide my hair into sections and apply it one by one until it gets covered. You are going to see this mask is messy! So wear a t-shirt and don’t care about getting dirty. Once the hair is completely covered, leave the hair mask on for 30 minutes.
5. At minute 20, add the face mask to your clean face and leave it for the rest of the minutes, a total of 30 minutes. Once this time has passed, jump into the shower to wash the covers off. It is important to mention not to use shampoo at this point. You moisturize your hair, so you don’t want to remove the oils and hydration. Depending on your hair, this mask can get tricky to remove. For that, I recommend you do a bath to soak your hair in water or add a little conditioner to help obliterate the mask.
7. Voila! Say hello to shiny and glowy hair and face!
DIY Moisturizing Hair Mask Video
Need help? Don’t worry! I got you covered. Just watch the video I made for you:
I hope it works well for you. Leave any comment down below! I hear ya!!
With love and care,
1. Ethan Basch, Catherine Ulbricht, Grace Kuo, Philippe Szapary, Michael Smith. Therapeutic applications of fenugreek.Altern Med Rev. 2003 Feb;8(1):20-7
2. Trüeb RM, Henry JP, Davis MG, Schwartz JR. Scalp condition impacts hair growth and retention via oxidative stress. Int J Trichology. 2018;10(6):262-270.
Fenugreek: A review on its nutraceutical properties and utilization in various food products. Journal of the Saudi Society of Agricultural Sciences. 2018;17(2):97-106.